- Demo: https://matomo.nsupdate.info/
- Matomo marketplace Signup plugin: https://plugins.matomo.org/Signup
- Github repository: https://github.com/alcalyn/matomo-plugin-signup
What is Matomo
Matomo is a free/libre alternative to Google analytics.
If you want to analyse users that are interacting with your website, you can self-host your own Matomo instance and add js tracking on your website.
This is what I’m using on this blog.
Why this plugin?
So I self-host my own instance of Matomo. But I use it only for this blog and a documentation site, which let many unused bandwith to my dedicated server.
I wanted to share my instance with other people that have a little blog and don’t want to install their instance or don’t want to use google analytics.
So I needed to add a signup workflow.
I read in these discussions that actually this plugin is really wanted and could also fit others uses cases.
So “why this plugin?”:
- Share our instance plublicly (mine)
- In a private instance (i.e organization), allows new contributors to create their access instead of asking to the administrator
What I needed to build this plugin
- The Matomo developer documentation helped me a lot to start develop my plugin.
- All existing plugins from Matomo also was a gold resources, I looked into plugins source code that does similar things.
This plugin is available on Matomo marketplace, or downloadable from github repository. You can install it directly through your admin interface.